CDP Ton Pentre AFC

Fixtures and Results 2001/2002

April 6th: Ton Pentre 0 v Barry Town 2 (A.E.T.)

This eagerly awaited Welsh Cup semi-final between the LOW champions Barry Town and the Welsh League champions Ton Pentre was a great advertisement for the Welsh League, Ton Pentre not only held their own but had a number of chances to score and put pressure on the favourites. It was a game Ton were expected to lose and Barry were expected to win quite comfortably, however the Ton team had not read the script.

The game was played at Stebonheath Parc, Llanelli, and a ground that does justice to Llanelli who play in the LOW, if only Ton were able to have this sort of on field facility? It was a warm spring day with a strong wind blowing from left to right, it was a wind which made it very difficult for both sides when playing into it.

Again manager Kevin Richards had to make a number of changes due to injuries, Nathan Prygodzicz returned after a 3 week lay off, Dai Withers after a couple of games, with Mike Jones substitute, King and Thomas were cup tied.

Barry kicked of with the wind into their faces and went straight onto the attack, forcing Ton back with Gary Lloyd prominent in the opening encounters crossing dangerously into the Ton area. As to be expected Barry settled into their game very quickly and tried to keep Ton in their own half, the Ton defence of Roberts, Prygodzicz and Neil Davies were able to cope. After 3 minutes Barry did put the ball into the net, however referee Simon Jones of Swansea dis-allowed it for a foul on Marty Ellacott. In the first 10 minutes it was all Barry, the Ton midfield of Dean Morris, Shaun Fackeral and Andrew Hughes were working very hard to get the ball, the three worked tirelessly throughout the game doing this. Then in the 13th minute Ton did get their first good attack when Hughes made a great break and crossed in behind the Barry defence, the Ton forwards were unable to get to the ball. This seemed to settle Ton down and they did get into the game from this point.

Barry had a free kick on the 19th minute and played the ball into the Ton box, Prygodzicz headed clear, the ball fell to Flynn whose shot went straight to Ellacott. Two minutes later came Ton first chance, Lee Randall beat the Barry defence on the right and squared the ball into the 6 yard box, as always Hughes was following up, he side footed the ball towards goal expecting the ball to into the net, Raynor in the Barry goal got his legs to it and the ball was cleared by Morgan. Barry through Moralee and Lloyd were putting pressure on the Ton back line, Ceri Harding and Lee Tapper the wingbacks of Ton were having to defend deep in their half.

The 24th minute saw Barry have another escape when the ball was played in for Withers, he ensured Morgan played it, he headed the ball backwards and the ball fell onto the top of the crossbar and went for a corner. After half an hour Barry had a great opportunity to score when Lloyd crossed into the box and Ramasut headed over, he should have scored. Barry were wasting all their good possession and Ton were now starting to play and their confidence grew.

The 37th minute saw Ton go close again when a superb ball over the top of a flat Barry defence saw Hughes run and just beat Raynor, his chip from 30 yards went agonisingly wide, the Ton supporters were already cheering thinking it was in. A few minutes before half time saw Ton lose possession in midfield and Barry got forward quickly, resulting in Prygodzicz having to give away a corner. The in swinging effort was headed out by Morris, Barry were now putting pressure on the Ton defence, they were not really troubled by their full time opponents. The half finished 0-0.

The half started with Barry determined to get Ton playing in the final third and they won two corners in the first two minutes. 4 minutes into the half saw Ton make a break with Harding finding Hughes who in turn played the ball towards the edge of the box for Withers who was in on goal, unfortunately he was offside. Barry really piled on the pressure with French, Lloyd and Flynn forcing Ellacott to punch clear, for all their possession Barry were not playing the controlled game they are reputed to have. Barry were in fact playing the ball over the top and missing out their 4-midfield players much to the dismay of their fans. Then on the hour Kenny Brown made a change he sent on Lee Jarman in place of Flynn.

Randall and Withers were trying to hold the ball up and chase down their youthful opponents, a few years ago this pair would have torn them apart, today it was all about team work. Barry's Toomey did get a shot in from 30 yards, which went way wide of the post. The 76th minute saw let off for Ton when a crossed ball fell onto the crossbar and went behind for a goal kick. A minute later saw Ellacott show his class when a shot from Moralee was goal bound, Ellacott brilliantly saved and the ball went behind for a corner. This was a good period for Barry they won a number of corners which resulted in another "World Class" save from Ellacott, a header was put down into the foot of the post, he was there to clear with his feet, this kept Ton in the game. These two saves were worth the entry fee.

Ton did get forward with Harding and Hughes playing the ball to Randall, however Jarman was on hand to play the ball away. Kevin Richards made a change for Ton in the 77th minute when Ian Shepherd replaced Randall. Harding went up front and Shepherd went to wingback. The final minutes of play of normal time saw both sides try to win the game. Neither wanting the extra time. Especially Ton who were playing their 4th game in 8 days. However, neither side could score so the second half ended no score.

So with an extra half hour to play Ton played with the wind behind them and worked to get the ball forward, the full timers were not having it all their own way and Barry were getting free kicks but not able to get clear chances. 10 minutes into the half and Ton made a change when Lee Mathews replaced Shaun Fackeral, it was to get fresh legs into the game, and Fackeral had run tirelessly all the game. Then in the 101st minute a ball over the top from Tapper was perfectly placed and Harding bravely ran onto it, Raynor was also out of his area trying to get there, Harding got there first he got the ball over the keeper and sent it towards the goal, he watched and saw his effort go just wide, this was the same as the Hughes effort in the first half, it was another let off for the LOW champions. The 1st half of extra time ended stalemate.

Barry kicked of the second period of extra time and went forward. Then after 1 minute Barry's luck turned a shot from Kennedy from 25 yards had a deflection and the ball beat a despairing Ellacott, it was cruel twist to the game. Ton did not give in and tried to get the equaliser, with Barry now a little more relaxed as were their followers. With 5 minutes to go Richards made his last change, Prygodzicz was replaced by Mike Jones, with Brown replacing Toomey with Pratt.

As Ton took the game to Barry, Barry were able to get forward, Roberts was now another striker and Ton played with Jones and the superb Davies at the back. With 2 minutes to go Barry's French broke forward and got a shot in on goal, Ellacott did well to save it, however the rebound fell to Moralee who put the ball into the net from 3 yards making it 0-2. Ton still worked very hard up to the final whistle they failed to get the goal they deserved, Barry winning 0-2.

This was a very good and brave performance by the Welsh League champions who deserved more out of the game, it was the superior fitness that won the day for Barry, and it would be a shame if Ton did not compete with the likes of Barry Town next year in the LOW! They have proved that with a fit squad and a few additions they can compete at this level.


Ton Pentre: Ellacott, Tapper, Davies, Roberts, Prygodzicz, Hughes, Fackeral, Morris, Randall, Withers & Harding, substitutes Mathews, M Jones & Shepherd

Barry Town: Raynor, French, Lloyd, York, Morgan, Philips, Kennedy, Toomey, Moralee, Flynn & Ramasut substitutes Brown, Pratt & Jarman

Written by Gary Matuszczyk

Dyluniwyd a threfnwyd y wefan hon gan AiGN © 2002. Designed & maintained by AiGN © 2002.
E-mail / E-bost:
Website / Gwefan:
Registered in England and Wales with company number 3618120.
купить аттестат за 9 класс
купить дипломы о высшем
купить диплом колледжа
купить диплом университета
купить свидетельство о рождении
купить диплом нового образца
купить аттестат за 11 класс
купить диплом в москве
купить диплом ссср
купить диплом колледжа
купить диплом о среднем образовании