CDP Ton Pentre AFC

Fixtures and Results 2001/2002

March 30th: Cardiff Corries 2 v Ton Pentre 2

This was a much-changed Ton Pentre side; they were without Brown, Prygodzicz, Withers (injuries), Morris (suspended), Davies (Away). So the starting line up was a strange one. Player manager Kevin Richards had to name himself, with Withers and Prygodzicz as the substitutes.

This said it was all about character and Ton needing to get the points, to keep the pressure on the other teams. The game was played on a very bumpy surface and this was to be a test for both teams.

Ton kicked off and were immediately on the attack, however it was short lived. Corries started well and forced a corner in the second minute, an in swinger was played, and Marty Ellacott did well to punch it clear with Saltmarsh putting in a challenge.

It took Ton quite some time to settle into a 4:4:2 formation and in the 5th minute they did get forward through Lee Mathew and Lee Randall, the cross was cleared by Hennessey. A minute later Mathews played the ball to Ceri Harding in the box, he hit the ball on the volley and it went over. He had more time than he realised, so could have done a little better. 10 minutes into the game saw a good chance for the home side, a long cross was played into the box, two Ton defenders went for the same ball, the ball fell to Cook who blasted over.

A minute later Rob King hit a shot from 25 yards that went wide; it was well worth a try although it did not make the keeper work. Then a long ball was played from the half way line to Saltmarsh it went through to Ellacott, the home side were trying to get the Ton defence turning.

The game continued with neither side able to dominate, there were half chances at both ends. Then the Corries did get a couple of corners, which Mike Jones did well to clear. The opening goal came in the 23rd minute, Mathews played a terrific ball to Andrew Hughes, who in turn put a great ball behind the Corries defence, where Harding was on hand to take the ball and strike it past a helpless Evans in the Corries goal. 0-1 to Ton.

Within a minute the Corries were back on level terms, a free taken by McCarthy on the right was played into the box, there was no Ton challenge and Hennessey headed home for 6 yards. 1-1. It was a very bad defensive goal and let the Corries straight back into the game.

Ton did settle down and tried to play a passing game, the pitch was preventing good fluent football. So when the Ton did play they looked by far the better side, however the Corries were able to get the ball forward and with Cook and Saltmarsh working hard the Ton defence was not comfortable. On the half hour there was an appeal by Ton for a penalty when Harding played a cross into the far post towards Jason Roberts, he was about to head the ball when he appeared to be pushed, the officials waved play on. Everyone around the ground were stunned by the decision.

The period up to the 40th saw Fackeral and Mathews get shots on goal, with Randall playing the line and more than capable of keeping the ball up for Hughes and Harding to run on to.

Corries through Saltmarsh were still keeping Shepherd and Tapper busy down the flanks, there was one occasion when a cross from a corner saw three Corries players around Ellacott, he did well to punch clear.

Then in the 43rd, the Corries right back Paul Evans played a ball inside the Ton defence for Saltmarsh to run onto, Jones pushed him wide and a corner was conceded. Two minute into stoppage time of the first half saw a good chance fall to Tapper, Fackeral played the ball over from a corner it beat everyone and fell to Tapper at the far post, he struck the ball towards goal, only for the ball to be deflected for a corner. Ton kept the corries in their half for the remainder of the stoppage time. The half ended with the score 1-1.

Within the first minute of the re-start the Corries went 2-1 up, a ball was played to Saltmarsh just inside his own half on the right, he played the ball forward and had the pace to beat the Ton defence, he cut inside and put the ball wide of Ellacott and inside the far pots, it was a superbly taken individual effort. 2-1 to Cardiff Corries.

This is what the home side wanted and they settled quickly, closing the ball and using their quick forwards. When they did win any free kicks or corners they put up their big players, Hennessey (no5) and Salmoni (no6) from the back. The 51st saw another chance go to Saltmarsh, he was 20 yards out with only Ellacott to beat, he chipped the ball over and it went well wide another scare and let off for Ton. Then a couple of chances fell to Cook and Saltmarsh in the 53rd and 59th minute, both should have been converted. However, Ton were now starting to get to grips with the game and were pushing the home side deeper into their own half. On the hour Randall got into a great position in the box, Fackeral played it in Randall volleyed just over; it was another good effort by Randall.

Manager Richards made a change for Ton in the 62nd minute, Withers went on and Mike Jones came off (rib injury), Withers went up front carrying a knee injury, so it was now a becoming more difficult for a patched up team. Ton were not giving up and pressed the Corries defence, then on the 66th minute they got the equaliser they deserved. From a free kick on the half way line, King played the ball into the box, where Roberts did very well to head on, having to twist his body and direct the header towards the danger area. In the right place again was Randall who volleyed the ball home form 6 yards to make it 2-2.

Ton kept going forward and were playing right on the shoulder of the Corries defence and were guilty of being caught offside too often, when they should have looked across the line. With Cook keeping possession and Saltmarsh running at Ton, King and Roberts were doing well at the back for Ton. In the 81st minute Saltmarsh again ran at Roberts who did well to hold him up, he than cut inside and shot at goal, Ellacott took it easily. As the half continued Ton were getting forward through Tapper and the improving Shepherd The game ended with both sides having half chances and Ton being the dominant side. Ton were unlucky not to get the 3 points in the end, however it was a good Cardiff Corries outfit who had worked hard for the draw, the home side were very pleased to hear the final whistle after 4 minutes of stoppage time. Teams:

Cardiff Corries: Mark Evans, Paul Evans, Lamb, Gordon, Hennessey, Salmoni, McNamara, Saltmarsh, Cook, McCarthy substitutes Pengilley, Young & Roberts

Ton Pentre: Ellacott, Tapper, Shepherd, Mike Jones, Fackeral, Roberts, Hughes, King, Mathews, Randall & Harding, substitutes Richards, Withers & Prygodzicz

Written by Gary Matuszczyk

Dyluniwyd a threfnwyd y wefan hon gan AiGN © 2002. Designed & maintained by AiGN © 2002.
E-mail / E-bost:
Website / Gwefan:
Registered in England and Wales with company number 3618120.
купить аттестат за 9 класс
купить дипломы о высшем
купить диплом колледжа
купить диплом университета
купить свидетельство о рождении
купить диплом нового образца
купить аттестат за 11 класс
купить диплом в москве
купить диплом ссср
купить диплом колледжа
купить диплом о среднем образовании